Thursday, July 07, 2005

Bewitched Ever After

('not Nicole nor Drew's flick, got my own version to tell...names of persons in this story were changed to protect their privacy, and me from being sued or spelled....hi!hi!hi!)

Love spells? believe them? Growing up in a Catholic household, the subject is bizarre, unbelievable, or should not be discussed at all at home. However, this incident in May of 1985 left me on the gray side - believing or not believing...I know it's rather untimely for a holloween piece, but forgive me for believing that "writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you're not getting money from it( Jules Renard)."

Fresh from obtaining my Bachelor's degree, I worked as a bookkeeper in a Real Estate Firm. Being the youngest employee at nineteen, the "ahentes" (Sales People) mostly from Cavite (a province thirty minutes away from Manila) are very fond of me - calling me "Nene" (young lady), pampering me with food, gifts, and tips whenever they pick up their commission checks. Oh, by the way, I am the one releasing their checks, could it be the reason they love me? whatever...

It was a sunny day in May, rather slow at the office, a lady "ahente" brought with her a frail looking woman with so sharp looks on her eyes that I couldn't bear staring at her for long. Apparently, the lady is a fortune teller, her name is Linda. But she's got other talents too, she could cast a spell, and love spell at that, is her expertise (does she qualify to be called a witch?).

Gathered in one corner, six lady "ahentes" eagerly waits for their turn of fate telling as Linda shuffles her tarot cards. From time to time, I hear ohhs and ahhs, and excited giggles from the group who couldn't believe what they're hearing. Wondering curiously, I listened to what Linda what saying, particulary to Ms. Ramos (she's the most glamorous sales person of the fifty plus age group). "Forget the man you're with, he belongs to another. Although you have two children with him, he will never be yours. Love the man who lives five houses behind yours, he is the one who loves you so." Ms. Ramos paused for a while and shouted a name, the person who lives five houses behind hers is Bernardo, her childhood sweetheart who stopped pursuing her when see started seeing this married man. She hasn't seen him since the day he left for the US, which was 18 years ago. Linda asked her, "You wanted him back? and you wanted to get out of this relationship that you are in now, right? then write the full name of this guy on this small piece of paper - i tell you, this man will come back and you'll be married before the year ends." After writing the name on the small white piece of paper, Linda quietly recited some sort of "orasyon" (ritual prayer) they said. Handed the paper back to Ms. Ramos with the instruction to place it underneath her pillow for three nights.

The following month, I was surprised with Ms. Ramos' visit. She came with a good looking gentleman of her age, whom she said would want to meet me too and hand me this bag of chocolate personally. I was quite confused why this man would want to meet me anyways. I was so overwhelmed when I learned that this is the man! Ms. Ramos' childhood sweetheart (Bernardo)who just came from the US, the spell worked! (or just a coincidence?). They asked me for the
"ahente's" details, the one who brought Linda to the office. Bernardo wanted to meet Linda and thank her personally. To him, without Linda's intercession Ms. Ramos' would not accept his love and he will forever remain a bachelor for he vowed to remain one if he can't have Ms. Ramos for his wife.

I asked Bernardo why after 18 years he suddenly decided to go back to PI, and his reply was, " I don't know, but I woke up one morning and I realized that I really love this woman(pulling Ms. Ramos closer) and I will fight for her love and will not surrender this time."

Wow! soooo incredibly romantic. What a girl to do? of course I gave them the phone number of the "ahente" so they could call upon her and learn Linda's whereabouts. Bernardo gave Linda $500, so I heard...and I, enjoyed the chocolates.

Yes, it was a tale of an extraordinary love, a good telenovela material which happened in real life. Don't ask me about Linda, I don't know where she is, May 1985 was the first and last time I saw her. Bernardo and Ms. Ramos got married in June, we were invited to the reception. Ms. Ramos is a June bride, so am I...splendid!

Fortunately for me, I need not a spell, for love found me worthy and guided my true love to find me.

T'was on a summer morning
The skies were clear, the wind invites
From a sharp quick joke, came out
A love I never dreamed, I only hoped

Sat by each other's side
The funny things we've shared
From a leisure trip uphills born
A love story never before told

The winds of time blew it's leaves
The love grew, the flowers bloom
From a promise told, yielded
A commitment never bound to end

The fulfillment of a rare experience
To stand the tests of time
Come the rain and high waters
A love to last a lifetime
(a poem I made for the love of my life...on the occassion of our sixth monthsary in 1993)

Over twelve years, sentiments remain the same, love's getting stronger... Bewitched or not - I love this man ever after!


Two souls with but a single thought, Two Hearts that beat as one. Friedrich Halm

3 comments:

boo ✈️ said...

"blessed are those whose hearts have been wronged in the past, for the coming of true love shall ease the pain for the rest of their lives."
(ano koneksyon? basta.. di ba, igs?)

rErEy said...

"Love is sometimes denied, sometimes lost, sometimes unrecognized, but in the end,
always found with no regrets, forever valued and kept treasured."
[Pag-ibig nga naman] ! Splendid ! [Chikka Lang]Kumusta na kaya sila?

Anonymous said...

Just read the new entry. Your creative juices are really flowing ha! Thanks for the credits although hindi ko rin alam san galing yun When I read the poem, I just remembered when Brack first came to Hayakawa, and you saw him thru the window and said siya yung mapapangasawa mo??? We all had a great laugh at the time diba? Was that just wild guess on your part or what? Oh those memories…..

(posted by site owner from a private email...Ms. Ilagan, di na ito private, hope u don't mind! 'miss you a lot!)