Thursday, January 19, 2006

Front-of-the-line

If you love theme parks you most probably know how a front-of-the-line pass works, and incase you’re not familiar with it, a front-of-the-line pass in Disneyland Resort for example, gives you instant access to enjoy the rides or attractions without having to fall in line. Picture this, you are standing in a long line waiting for your turn to experience Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Three-Hours Wait, ups! I meant Temple of Doom (it just feels like the wait time is 3 hours to get into the ride), and comes this person flashing this card, going straight to the entrance ready for the ride, while you and hundreds of jealous eyes stare in envy, this person takes the ride, enjoy the thrills, came out happy, while you and the rest are still in line waiting for that precious turn. How good a front-of-the-line pass can be?

Last week, Abraham showed me his school’s own version of the front-of- the-line pass which he got as an incentive for having good grades. His is a privilege to bypass any line in the school Cafeteria at Nutrition (popularly known as recess) and Lunch hours. In a school of more than 2,000 young teen students trying to finish their meals within the alloted time, even batch scheduled breaks won't help shorten the lines, a front-of-the-line pass then is a relief. Whoever thought of this special type of pass, depending on how and where it is being used, is quite a genius, creative, or rather has good business sense.

I just can’t help but blast back to the days I was in High School and in College. It would be nicer if we have this kind of pass back then, even if it works only during Enrollment days where students of all disciplines would line up in front of the registrar’s office to enroll. It usually takes me more than four hours to finish a semester’s enrollment and really, skipping lunch is a pain for someone with hyperacidity. I wonder too, with all these online facilities nowadays, if you still need to fall-in line to get enrolled in a class? I just think, today’s generation is quite lucky in this sense.

If you’re like me who experienced the disadvantages of being last, you would understand why I wanted a front-of-the-line pass…My last name (maiden) starts with S, when I was still attending elementary and high school, I was among the last ones if the line or seating arrangement is ordered alphabetically. I usually end up seating at the back where I could hardly hear my teachers or my classmates especially during group discussions. I missed a lot of jokes, comments, and freebies (if you’re one of those lasts in the line, you’ll end up with what others didn’t choose) those days. This is why I was so excited to change my last name when I married, and I’m glad my husband’s last name starts with a D, what a promotion! But gone are the school days when I needed this the most. Oh well…

But despite wanting to be first, I'd also enjoy being last, if… it’s time to... get a shot (immunizations) I hate needles poking me, or to have a tooth or two extracted (never had, hope, I’ll never will). I’m sure each one of us wanted to be both firsts and lasts, where, when, and why?…It would be nice if you can click on the comments and post your thoughts.

Postcript: I can't find a handy quotation for this entry, and I can't end my blog without one, thus I came up with an original, below.

Discipline comes in many forms, waiting in line is just one of them. Maria Elizarah


Click Here To Write Me

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience and discipline are great men's fine qualities; they are rare as the finest diamonds

boo ✈️ said...

a man wants to be his woman's first, while a woman wants to be her man's last.
so they say ... men are from mars! :-)

Zarah Dizon said...

Thanks Jess! ...lalim!

Hello Igs!

True enough! Your comment landed on a perfect timing...LOL