Sunday, November 05, 2006

No soda on weekdays

Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, and french fries, perfect match for soda! But when I asked, “Who wants soda?” Lemuel replied, “I can’t have soda on weekdays.” “What? Why can’t you have soda on weekdays?” I asked back. “Because Daddy said so,” was Abraham’s quick response. “Oh, I didn’t know that. Since when did he tell you that?” After which, I kept my words to myself and smiled secretly in admiration of Brack’s effective implementation of a rule I never even noticed was observed in the house for a long time now.

I also laid-out some rules but I feel like I have to remind the kids time and again about the rules for them to abide. How come Brack’s were carried-on even when he’s not around to implement it?

I lived with rules too, hundreds of it, when I was growing up. I may have not appreciated most of it then but I treasured it deeply as I transformed into adulthood. As a matter of fact, I feel fortunate that I grew up under the care of a very strict grandfather, for his rules made me see life deeper and differently than most young people do. And while I have yet to discover the secret beneath his’ and Brack’s apt parenting style, I am satisfied that the kids are adjusted to following rules without rebelling. It feels good they are developing one of life’s most important virtues – RESPECT.

Even if they say you miss the fun by obeying rules, I still believe rules are essential to men. Zarah Dizon

No comments: