Friday, November 19, 2010

Cooking for the heart

After dinner last night, my younger son saw me in front of the PC and teased me that I’m blogging about my latest kitchen gadget, the Pizza Oven. Actually I was about to, but lost the desire since he forestalled my idea so I just went downstairs and reran one of my favorite movies on the DVD player. I said I’ll just blog tomorrow when the kids are in school.

Tomorrow is today. I watched the morning news as usual then switched channels to EWTN for the Daily Mass. As soon as the mass started, I got a call from my friend Kristine. Kris was in tears as she told me Jeff, her husband passed away. She is the second friend who lost a husband this year. My other friend, Lori, lost Tommy in July. Kristine found a best friend in Jeff. Lori found a great companion in Tommy. They hurt deeply. I feel their pain.

I cried with Kristine on the phone but soon after we hanged-up, I said my rosaries for Jeff and head to the kitchen. I am not really planning to cook anything as I have stocked-up pizzas in the fridge because of my excitement with the Pizza Oven, but felt I have to. I must do something I love doing to brighten up my mood. I need to stay positive. So I went through the vegetable bin, the overhead cabinet, and started to create a meal.

I ended up making ham fried rice and vermicelli tomato chicken and clam soup. A soup that is not on any cook book, it is a recipe I created, today. I realized cooking not only brings-out creativeness but also lightens up a heavy heart.

1 comment:

bu said...

if i only have that talent!
but all my cooking attempts require 'pray-over' to be palatable, igan :-(
buti na lang palaging gutom ang mga housemates, so ok na sa kanila basta photogenic ang food :-)