Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why I've given up mussels

One good thing about proof reading Lemuel’s Science Reports is learning. A lot of times I realized how nescient I am of Science, like it took me several readings to understand the what abouts of global warming. Now that Lemuel is on summer break, I’m free of proof readings but before classes was over, he reported on water pollution and the latest methods used to control it.

Until this report I didn’t know that mussels are easily contaminated by heavy metals and persistent organic pollutants that it is used by scientists to measure the water pollution level.

I have always been pleased eating this seashell since I was a teen, it is abundant in our province therefore it is sold cheap. When I was pregnant with Abraham, I consume a gallon-full of mussels just by myself. I liked it ginataan (with coconut milk) with veggies, oven-baked with tomato sauce and ketchup, or simply steamed.

At Seafood City here in Los Angeles, prices of Mussels from New Zealand (my preferred brand) and China had increased, but that wouldn’t stop me from patronizing my favorite molluscs. But after learning the facts above, my partiality with mussels has ended. In fact I managed to skip it on 2 recent buffet trips. Thanks Science!

P.S. Thanks to all my friends who remembered my birthday :-)
P.S.2 Advance Happy Birthday Bu!

No comments: