Monday, July 07, 2008

the first fight

I’m a big fan of weddings that’s why I zealously looked forward to last Saturday’s garden sunset wedding of my friends from work. The occasion turned out just as I expected it to be, blooming, sweet, and romantic. One lady, as the bride steps down staircase, can’t help but utter, “I want to get married again.” I think she meant, “I want to wear that gown!” I do too.

One thing about women on weddings is that they can’t help but reminisce and compare the occasion with their own. Secretly hoping for a rewind, not necessarily getting married with another person, but just different gowns, hairstyle, venue, give aways, and so forth - if they can turn time around.

Standing beside the bride by the door of the main ballroom, we both were anxiously excited for the ceremonies to start. The sweetness and romance were playing in my mind taking me back the time I was wearing my own wedding dress when the bride introduced me her florist, who that time was about to collect the check for her flowers and her services. An incident suddenly coruscated my memory…

Sometime in the past, a florist took advantage of the bride’s pre-occupation with the pressures and vanities of the wedding and overcharged for the cost of the blooms and the services, like 30 or 40% more than what she quoted. She knew her way, the florist, instead of approaching the bride or the mother of the bride went straight to the groom to collect. The groom, without confirmation with the bride, who that time was just standing at the opposite corner of the church, handed the florist his cash.

The bride, after learning the groom had paid for more than what they are supposed to pay, was upset and blamed the groom. With a total frowned face, she clutched the trail of her ecru organza gown, hurriedly walked to the car, got in and loudly slammed the door closed, leaving behind the groom who stopped arguing to quiet his spouse. Good thing the bride knew about the incident after the reception when all the guests were gone.

They drove home and slept on different beds on their wedding night.

Each and every June of the years that followed, the couple were reminded they were deprived of a romantic wedding night by a florist, so they made sure each anniversary is sweet and fight-free…working on their 16th year now.

By the ways, the upset bride was me; it was our first fight as a couple.

2 comments:

gmi said...

had a feeling it was you, you got it down pat up to the lst detail my friend!

Anonymous said...

igan,
happy anniversary, and happy birthday. good people like you deserve happiness forever...