Saturday, May 27, 2006

I love to sing!

I was ready to boycott American Idol promising not to watch the show anymore (as if it would have an impact on the show's rating, LOL) after Chris Daughtry was booted-off. But with Lemuel’s prodding to support Taylor, his favorite, I easily gave in and ended up watching the last 2 shows, and even alternated with the kids voting for Taylor. I don’t know why we’re so hooked up with this show and this year the household was divided equally, me and Brack for Chris, Abraham and Lemuel for Taylor. In the end, the four of us, united for Taylor Hicks, the unique, funny, and silver-haired idol. AI is the only show that we as a family really look forward to watching twice a week. From Abraham’s words, “American Idol only lasts for three and a half months, and we have to wait for a year for their next season, long wait.”

You might think my kids love to sing, no they don’t, and definitely not Brack, he refused to even hum a note for me, even in the shower, no sound at all. But I am. I am a frustrated singer, and will remain to be, not a singer, frustrated I meant.

Two decades ago, I enrolled at the famous Ryan Cayabyab’s The Music Studio in Makati. I learned vocalization and some singing techniques, added knowledge but I never really improved. The only consolation I had from the voice lessons was my time slot caught in between the lesson hours of two popular actresses in the Philippines back then. Lea Orosa, the beautiful Shell model once linked to Robin Padilla and Nanette Medved, who played Darna after Vilma Santos. I saw them once or twice there. It’s also nice to recall when Celeste Legaspi spent a few minutes to hear me sing, not because I had a good voice, but she was just curious of the song I’m singing, Debbie Gibson’s Eternal Flame, was one of the newest songs then.

I guess I’ll forever love to sing. I sing when I’m happy, I sing when I’m bored, I sing when I’m sad, extremely lonely or depressed. I remember when my most loved grandmother passed away; I would stay in the room, lie on the bed, and sing endlessly, to ease my broken heart until I fall asleep.

I sung to Abraham and Lemuel each time I put them to sleep when they were babies, in fact I have original lullabies for them.

My memories have theme songs, but I’m pretty much selective in singing them, I just chose those which bring back good memories.

I love to sing and since I can’t be a singer, I’ll just enjoy my American Idols. ‘Cant wait to hear them sing, I bought the tickets three months in advance :-)

There is delight in singing, though none hear beside the singer. Walter Savage Landor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a girlfriend who used to take lessons with Ryan as well and probably the same timeframe as you (around '85-87, I think). Small world, indeed.

About yoour Jollibee post, I wish we have one where I am currently. I crave for Chicken Joy and Yumburger!

Zarah Dizon said...

Hi John!

Thanks for dropping by. Did my entry made you a bit nostalgic ;-)

Where are you anyways? if there are enough Pinoys, I'm sure Jollibee will be there.

By the ways, my middle name is your last name.

Anonymous said...

Nostalgia indeed.

I work in Atlanta and I fly home every weekend to Chicago. Amazingly enough, Chicago is the 2nd most Filipino populated city in the U.S. (yep, more so than NY and NJ) and still no Jollibee. I don't get it.