Monday, February 25, 2008

beyond human attachments (for Spice)

I was multi tasking in the kitchen yesterday between cooking and cleaning the mini beta fish aquarium. In the past, I struggle to transfer the fish from its container to the other bowl, it would swim fast away from the net and oftentimes would jump in strong resistance. But since a few weeks from yesterday, the fish had been calm and cooperative. My guesstimate is age – the fish has been with us for more than two years now. I wonder how long it is in fish life. I wonder too, how old it is when we bought it from Petco, maybe not that old. This fish survived more than a dozen of goldfishes, another beta, and two turtles. But this fish is not the longest we had, Crabbie was, an active hermit crab, which stayed with us for more than three years and died the middle of last year.

Although not initially my pets, I ended up being the caretaker of these tiny marine animals when the kids lost their enthusiasm a long-long time ago. Though I sometimes make them guilty of neglecting their container-based pets, both Abraham and Lemuel are still dreaming of having a dog. Now this is where I become emo. I told them they can have a dog when they are old and have their own family but never will I get a dog for them again.

I would never want to own another dog. Why? Because I had a great one and I feel no dog can ever replace my charming Spice. At first I thought she was babyish and a picky eater but when Brack left for the US, I started to notice how a responsible family member she was. Spice became unusually sensitive and would bark even at nothing to protect us. There was this incident during my grandfather’s wake that we went back home at dawn and were so surprised to find Spice sitting by the gate waiting for us. She must have walked out as I am closing the gate and unknowingly locked her out. Yet she stayed and guarded her territory responsibly. Imagine my guilt leaving her outside.

Spice got the most expressive eyes and looks at me without criticisms. My heart aches every time I would recall the dawn we left the Philippines for the US; it was my last sight of Spice. I didn’t think she would pass away soon enough for our next reunion. What I’m imagining before is, if she can still recognize Lemuel whom she loved to lick on the cheeks when we return. Apparently, no get together of that sort is happening anymore.

I fed and cared for our tiny water-based pets, I never even bathed Spice before; it was always Brack and my nephews, Aaron and Mikko who bathed her. I may not have a picture of Spice but her image is crystal clear stacked in my heart and mind and my attachment to this canine is heaven bound.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice one.. We all share the same feeling when it comes to our beloved pets.. be it furry or scaly.. they are family.. and will always play a very special role in our lives.. even with merely taking our time off from stressful everyday chores at home and work.. and other small things no one thought is making difference in our lives.. but though other people becomes afraid of taking another one after a sad separation with their beloved pets.. we have to move o take one again.. because some said it make them happy (the departed pets) for another of its kind that will be given the same affection that they enjoyed when they were with you.. and they will be glad to know that after fulfilling their life's purpose in our lives there is another one of it's kind that will make us happy again and forget the sad feelings..