Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Jargons

I once had a boss who is so fond of using jargons in his reports and on meetings that only he can digest. T’was around the 90’s and internet was not yet in bloom so I just relied on my Webster and whenever I don’t find his terminologies in there, I just pretended I understood everything, kept quiet and refrained myself from asking questions.

Later in the same decade, I started my MBA at De La Salle. I didn't enjoy hearing pretentious words. I never imagined myself using jargons until one of my firsts professors in the program told us, one of the things that distinct graduate students from undergraduate students is the use of jargons. He encouraged us to incorporate specialized and technical language from the sophisticated world of business in our presentations, written reports, and class discussions.

Not long after, everybody, myself included, started to use convoluted phrases in class, trying hard to impress one another. My mind boggled with synergies, matrices, strategies, and other terminologies that added complexity to the program. But that was the challenge, and I like being challenged, so I embraced the situation and… Voila! before that first trimester ended, I became like my former boss, jargons became part of my used to be, simple vocabulary.

But those days are gone; I survived the program. I am back to my old me, living with the principle that works in every situation, whenever, wherever… I KISS...(Keep It Simple! - the word for the last letter S is up to you.)

No comments: