Wednesday, August 30, 2006

wonderings and wanderings

When Brack woke me up a few minutes before six a.m. I asked him when can we have a vacation that all we'll do is sleep and eat. He told me, "Not now, when we retire, for now, you have to get up because we have a lot to cover today." Although in slight somatic distress from the eight hours road trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco the day before, I acquiesced and took a quick shower. After the continental breakfast at the Hotel, we're off the road. It was a day of bridges...Golden Gate Bridge is the most popular of all, Bay Bridge is the longest at eight something miles, but the San Mateo/Hayward Bridge awed me much. It's a mixed prodigious and tranquil moment I had crossing it. I could elucidate but I chose not to, rather urge you to visit San Mateo, cross the bridge, feel it, and experience that feeling.


I stand on a bridge of one span and see this calm act, this gathering up of life, of spring water and the Muse gliding...Denise Levertov


Brack said I cook well, the children agree, but my clam chowder seemed inferior to the clam chowder served with sourdough bread at the Fisherman's Wharf. Downtown San Francisco with its narrow hilly and crooked roads is so alive with people and stores, not like Downtown Los Angeles which seemed like a ghost town on weekends.

Northern California is enticing; I'm zealously looking forward to my next visit.

That was last week...

Saturday night, Abraham and I were here...



Sunday, we were here...and there...







And if you've watched "Last Days on Earth" tonight like we did and heard the smartest men of science talk on the final days of the planet and how humans will be extinguished, you might slow down and decide to smell the flowers. You wouldn't expect to hear scientists saying something of this effect, "look for love because it'll be very difficult for someone not to have someone to hold onto when that time comes." A lot of people were asked on what they'll do and what's important to them when the final day comes...there were a lot of answers...but one word was mentioned the most...family.

We're just glad, our wonders and wanders, gave us these bonding moments...















...even this duck wanted to bond... it walked towards Abraham and Lemuel several times, seemed to enjoy being photographed. Abraham enjoyed taking pictures, Lemuel wanted to hug it.

...reaching for the world, as our lives do, as all lives do, reaching that we may give, the best of what we are and hold as true...Philip Larkin

(Click on each picture for a larger view, then click Back icon to return to the blog)

No comments: