Wednesday, September 14, 2005

wheat and chaff

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is slow-ripening fruit. Aristotle


You can build a rapport instantly with a person you just knew but I don't believe friendship works that way. It's a slow process which passes through phases and different moods. Platonic relationships which survived challenges, pressures, laughters, tears, and pressures - tested by time, so they said, outlast the others.

In my lifetime I must say, I was fortunate to meet a lot of people, different ages, different backgrounds, beliefs, and interests. But despite the overwhelming number of acquaintances whom I got close to, I only kept a few of them as friends. Self-choice.

Being so trusting, I usually give people close to me more than enough opportunity to demonstrate their affection. But as I age, I learned that there is no point trusting and making friends with people who do not return the courtesy. Thus, I ended up letting or rather making feigned friendships fall by the wayside. The process is difficult but worth doing. I've gone through an assessment of myself and the people whom I call (and thought were) my friends. And after an honest analysis (which included self-improvement plans), I successfully separated the wheat from the chaff. I was left with a few real ones, peole whom I can call true friends. The smaller circle included the friends I had for years, decades. And I am happy moving within this smaller circle than being in a pond of people who pretend to be friends but do otherwise.

This entry is my own little way of thanking my friends, you know who you are, for all the good times, hard times and everything real that you shared with me. I appreciate your friendship and I feel truly fortunate to find wheat, good quality wheat, in a seaful of chaff.

Finally, for those of you dear readers who may want to undergo the "wheat and chaff" separation process which I did, the following thought of caution from Blaise Pascal may help or may force you to start the process (ha!ha!ha!)...

Few friendship would survive if each one knew what his friend says of him behind
his back.

POSTCRIPT : All the best goes to two of my friends at work who recently added a year to their ages. You are truly a WHEAT!

Keep the sun shining and the rainbow peeping...hold onto that smile!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your latest is also a nice one and let me also add that in friendship their should be respect and reciprocity, factors to consider to have a good harvest.

(lifted from a private email)

Anonymous said...

Hey Zarah, thank you for being a friend (I hope you consider me "wheat"!). I know we had some rough times at the start and there were times that we were out of touch...but here we are today, I think better friends that before, despite the distance...diba??? God bless you and your family.

boo ✈️ said...

caveat,indeed; a "friend" is a rare specie.

enjoy the blessing of a few on hand..
and enjoy blogging as i enjoy reading :-)

rErEy said...

Superb ! ! !

Sabi-Sabi:
Only true friends will tell you that you have dirt on your face.

I agree... How about y'all

God be with you & your small cirle of friends.

Anonymous said...

Ate Z,

I finally was able to visit your blogspot (sorry for the very long delay..) Very touching and well written..

Know that I am always here for you… I know that our friendship has gone through some trials but I am so grateful that we are still friends and I am planning on keeping you as my friend for life.

Thanks so much for the friendship. You are one of my very few friends that I cherish. Like you, I’d rather have few but true friends..

I feel so blessed to have known you.

(lifted from a private email)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Zarah Dizon said...

Site owner's reply to comments:

Bu and Debbie - you are true "wheat" friends indeed. I emailed you both in private.

Nette - Thanks for following up, you are right about respect and reciprocity.

Anonymous - Thank you for the visit and the generous comment.

Wrerey - Thanks much! Very true what you said, only real friends will care to tell...

Kristine - I feel the same way - "iba ang may pinagsamahan"

Anonymous said...

sipag naman magsulat, wa ako masay.. just to share my thoughts on this, years of experience make me think otherwise.. not all who i thought were not my friends could also be my friend. i just cant judge them on what they might have said in one or two occasions. the same way with those who might have said or done good things.. i think i should not be overprotective (at wala namang po-protectahan, ho ho ho) but should not be over-trusting as well.. i still have to find the right formula how to know my true friends are. am sure my wife and my parents.

Zarah Dizon said...

(Site owner's reply...)
Hi Anonymous!

Let me guess? you're Roel? hahaha!!!yes, buddy! you're right. Yan ang sinasabi natin sa MBA na different perspective, different scenario, ika nga...our thinking and views are influenced by a number of factors, in my case and for this specific case, hands-on experience taught me how to differentiate. Before I was truly open, siguro it's the reason I was caught off-guard, dati iisa lang ang definition ng friends sa akin - someone who cares, and i give them equal trust. You are smart that you already know not to be too trusting...i was etremely trusting. And believe me, maski wala kang dapat protektahan, these kind of people will find something to put you down...buti na lang I have the few good friends who reminded me of the law of karma...kaya ipinagpasa-karma ko na lang yung mga chaff...hahaha!!!and thanks a lot buddy for visiting my site and expressing your views, point well taken ika nga...siguro ang taas ng grade mo sa strategic management no? hehehe!!!

Anonymous said...

correct ka dyan, igan. thought i would take strama twice buti na lang pinalagpas na rin nila ako..

yes, that's what i learned.. no permanent enemies but we could have permanent friends.. ask the politicians because their the experts!

dito lang ako, pasilip-silip.. c ya!