Monday, August 29, 2005

hard times...

My thoughts and prayers goes to everyone affected by Hurricane Katrina.

This calamity reminded me of the two big floods we had in my hometown of Noveleta back in October of 2000. Two major floods in three days damaged a lot of properties, swept away people's homes and belongings which was accumulated over time, most of them life's possession. And took a life, at least of one child. This flooding didn't caused as much extensive lost of life and properties as what Katrina brought to Louisiana and Mississippi but I guess the impact is the same for those who directly felt the loss. And the experience of it is not something you easily forget.

My family, five years after these two floods, has still a vivid recollection of that quiet night when we were all lying infront of the television at the living room, and was shocked by the sight of water coming right at the front door. It was more like that scene in the movie Titanic where Rose is finding Jack and the water is so fast rising. I could still recall our most loved pet, Spice barking-out to get our attention to get her. I remembered the look of relief on her face when my husband carried her to where we are.

Fortunately for us, we lost only, most of our appliance, furnitures, some fixings, our treasured wedding album, which were eventually replaced. And fortunately also for us that time, I am employed by OMMPI, a very generous company who financially aided employees affected by such disaster, and had us back, if not all, what we had lost. I felt so much grief for the people in my town who totally lost their homes, their material possessions, who had really a hard time recovering. And for the family of the lost child.

All in all, it left us, my family, a scary and sad memory. I still remember the day we (my children and I) came to the US in 2002, my husband said "I am relieved that you all are here, I worry everytime it rains there, I'm afraid of you getting caught in a flood." But I still have my mother, close relatives, friends, and other people in the Philippines, so everytime I hear it rains there, I call my mother to ask if there's flooding in the place. I guess, I will be continously praying that it will not happen again.

Wherever you may be, whatever race or color, it will help a lot to keep on praying that such disasters will not visit us again. Times like this, we look up and bend our knees...

For those of you, dear readers, who would want to help our fellowmen in need, you may CLICK HERE and it will bring you to the donation site for the victims of the recent hurricane.

And for those affected, I'd like to share this thought by Thomas Jefferson.
It is part of the American character to consider nothing as desparate - to surmount every difficulty by resolution and contrivance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zarah!
Good to see that you are really getting into the writing that you ahve always wanted to do.
It's sad about the hurricane in the US, but Filipinos over there can only say na sanay na kayo sa typhoons and floods, kayang-kaya niyo yan!
God bless ya, sis!

boo ✈️ said...

mother teresa said, "find your own calcutta.."
new orleans, i guess, is the one for us. sana nga, donations will pour as hard as the wrath of katrina.

bless your heart for this writing, igan.

Anonymous said...

aha, so you left only in 2002, i c, some of r friends were surprised to know u r n d US! i also cant remember there was such a big flood in 2000? ok, i wont argue, matanda na ko, that's why!

rErEy said...

Hi Zarah D.

Feel sorry for the flood victims, Sana next time na bumaha ay bahain naman tayo ng biyaya. Pero sorry ren at ngayon lang naka-bisita, Yung blog ko di na nasundan penGe nga ng mai-po-post. Har ! Har ! Har! Till next... Ingat

rErEy